Each year, concerned citizens opposed to abortion have gathered at the annual March for Life in Washington, D.C., to raise their voices against the Supreme Court’s Roe v. Wade decision and to give witness to respect for all human life. Although many religious denominations participate each year, the march is overwhelmingly Catholic and the USCCB and the Archdiocese of Washington sponsor affiliated activities in connection with the march. There is also an important opportunity to meet with members of the Louisiana Congressional delegation regarding life issues. Finally, Louisiana Right to Life gathers young people from all across Louisiana for the Geaux Forth Rally, focused on bringing advocacy for life back home. Our pilgrimage also includes the participation of seminarians, female religious novices, and a chaplain on each motor coach, pro-life catechesis and prayer during portions of our travel time and hotel evenings, and a Rosary for life outside an abortion clinic located just blocks from the White House.
The CYO/Youth & Young Adult Ministry Office year began offering a trip ten years ago open to all area high school students. This has now grown into 500 teenagers from 19 Catholic high schools and numerous parish youth ministry delegations. Hundreds of thousands of mostly young people will peacefully march as witnesses to the sanctity of life. Archbishop Gregory Aymond is supportive of this opportunity and will be attending with us again this year.
We are again pleased to sponsor a youth pilgrimage to the March for Life. Because of the tremendous growth of the trip, we are making some minor changes to the registration process.
1) ELIGIBILITY: The trip is open to students in grades 8-12 registering as part of either a Catholic high school or a church parish youth ministry delegation; schools/parishes may impose additional criteria at their discretion
2) REGISTERING: To register a group, a group leader should submit a group roster, the individual registration slips, and the corresponding deposits to the CYO Office. The CYO Office would strongly prefer to have one packet per school/parish rather than individuals sending registrations to the office.
3) PAYMENTS: At the beginning of the registration process, the group leader must decide whether trip participants will pay directly to the CYO Office (i.e., sending a bundle of checks) or whether the parish/school will collect payments and then cut one check to the archdiocese. Whatever payment method you choose will apply to ALL payment installments. Please do not switch back and forth.
4) TEENS WITHOUT A GROUP: Teens whose parishes/schools are not going may register as individuals with a surcharge. Special consideration will be given to members of Teen CROSS, the Archdiocesan Youth Council. Contact the CYO Office to discuss.
5) CHAPERONES: The trip will be chaperoned by the office and adult staff from the parishes and high schools. Adults, including parents, may not register for the youth pilgrimage without the approval of the school or parish where their child attends.
With space limited to 500 people and the trip selling out each year, I ask that young people and their parents please make decisions as soon as possible. Complete information will be made available at www.cyo-no.org, including trip flyers, itinerary, packing list, and various permission forms. Trip meetings to submit these forms will take place in December on the southshore and northshore. Paid deposits hold space on a first-come, first-served basis. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at 504-836-0551, ext. 3219 or Cecilia Matherne at ext. 3221.
The March for Life Pilgrimage is a life-changing pilgrimage that includes the 41st Rally & March for Life, Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, the Capitol, Holocaust Museum, Smithsonian Museums, Martin Luther King, Jr. Monument, Lincoln Memorial, Supreme Court, opportunity to meet Louisiana Congressional Members, Geaux Forth Youth Rally, nightly youth ministry, and more!
Where: Washington, D.C.
When: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 (evening departure) – Sunday, January 29, 2017 (evening return)
How Much: $580 includes motor coach transportation, hotel accommodations based on 4 students or 2 adults per room, 10 out of 14 meals, and all activities/admissions. *Teens registering without a sponsoring parish/school group add $100 to cost.
Payments: By Check (Mail to CYO Address below) By Credit Card (Include credit card info on form)
- $180 Deposit due September 30
- $200 Payment due November 30
- $200 Payment due December 30
Note: There are no refunds.
More Info: Detailed itinerary, permission forms, packing list, and school absence letters from archdiocese will be sent to each participant. Forms will be due at a December trip meeting; complimentary notarization will be available.
Registration: To hold a spot, fill out the registration form and send in the $180 deposit as soon as possible. We anticipate that the trip will sell out quickly.